Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Summer of Nerdiness

Two weeks into summer and I think I've gotten into the routine of things. A few people don't like me my calling myself a nerd, but according to a yahoo article, nerd is so in right now. Well, that's good news for me because a good number of my summer hours will be spent doing nerdy things. My summer job is working at the Harold B. Lee Library, shelving books. It is more physically demanding than I thought it would be. I walk all around my floor (2nd Religion) and around of the rest of the library for about 7 hours, only sitting while I'm sorting books or reading the call numbers on bottom shelves. I also time myself while I shelve books with the goal to reach 4 books a minute. I've enjoyed my first two weeks and I've had a chance to scope out some books to read this summer.

In addition to working at the library, I'm interning at the BYU Writing Center which with hopefully turn into a job for Fall semester. So far I've been observing peer tutors helping students with papers and, by the end of the term, I'll be doing the same thing. A pretty academic based summer, but I think it will be great. The best part is that I have no homework, leaving plenty of time to read. I've four books so far and my list is growing.

As far as social activities, it's been movies and bonfires every weekend. My roommates and I made a list of some creative date activities. Hopefully, we'll try them all.

To finish off my blog, I thought I'd leave you with some funny titles I've come across at work:

How to pray and stay awake

Can I have your number: Pick-up lines that don't work and gospel principles that do

Death and Dying A-Z

How to be well liked

Pure & Chased

If I find more, I'll be sure to share them. Since I find them shelving, I wonder who checks these books out.

1 comment:

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

You have always love reading haven't you? I wish I had more time to read. The last book I read was Fabelhaven...have you read series yet? It's Awesome!